Skip to content

Care options

In Edinburgh, we offer a number of care options; each tailored to fit in with the needs of the children, their families and you. Whatever your circumstances, you might be surprised how you can help and offer care to some of the children currently looking for a home in Edinburgh.


Providing temporary care for children who cannot live with their own families, sometimes for weeks, months or for the rest of their childhood.

Permanent fostering

Providing full-time care for children who cannot live with their own families for the rest of their childhood.

Specialist foster care

Looking after children with a higher level of need on a full or part-time basis.

Foster care for children with disabilities

Caring for a child with additional needs, either full-time or part-time, for at least two years.

Respite foster care

Looking after a child or children for planned overnight care in your own home.

Private fostering

Understandably, people confuse the difference between private foster carers and local authority foster carers. However, private fostering is quite different from local authority fostering.