Skip to content

Carer finance

Carers get paid as self-employed people by the Council. The amount you’re paid depends on the type of caring you undertake and in some cases it can amount to the same as a full-time job. You would also be entitled to tax relief from the Government. As well as being paid, you would receive a maintenance allowance to cover the costs of caring for the child. Some adopters are eligible for an adoption allowance.

Carer allowances and fees – to recognise the important role that carers provide we have clear allowance and fee structure.

Taxes – carers are self-employed and must submit their own tax returns. Fees are taxable but the Government offers tax relief for foster carers.

Insurance – carers must have adequate house, buildings and contents insurance as well as comprehensive car insurance, and must inform their insurance providers about their caring role.