Skip to content


Carers must have adequate house, buildings and contents insurance as well as comprehensive car insurance. Carers must inform their insurance providers about their caring role.

The Council has insurance which covers carers who in the proper course of their duties may become legally liable to pay compensation to third parties because of injury or damage to property, if the Council is shown to have been negligent.

Car insurance should be fully comprehensive and cover any additional liability relating to the caring role.

The Council pays for individual membership of the Fostering Network for foster carers. This entitles members to legal advice and representation should it be required.